Sunday, April 20, 2008

Coming in July 2008

There are times, I still can't quite believe I've actually got a publishing contract. Winning the Operation First Novel Contest last year was one of the most exciting events in my life. The last year has been quite an emotional roller coaster as well.

One month after getting my contract, I learn that my job was being re-located to Columbus Ohio.I had to decide whether to stay with the company or take a severance package and look for a new job.  My wife and I were both born and raised in Wisconsin. This would mean moving away from all of our family and life-long friends. Needless to say, it was a major life decision. 

We flew out to Columbus in June of 2007 to visit the area. My company offered to connect us with a Columbus-based couple to show us around that weekend. I declined that offer. I just wanted to drive around and get to know the place myself. I didn't feel like having to socialize. I remember the HR rep asking a couple of times, "Are you sure?" I made it perfectly clear that I didn't want to be hooked up with a host couple for the weekend.

Needless to say, when we arrived, we found out the HR department had disregarded my wishes and scheduled us for a tour with a couple from the area anyway. But within five minutes of meeting them, we discovered they were Christians who had also recently relocated from Texas. 

Short story was that we had a great time and have since become friends. We also went to church with them on Sunday. They just happened to have a visiting pastor who spoke that week. His message was on how God brought Israel out of Egypt for a purpose: To move them to the promised land. Colette and I just shook our heads. We called that our moving sermon.

We spent that summer selling our home and moved that fall. Then two month's after our move, my sister called me to say my mother had passed away, peacefully in her sleep. She now joins my father who had gone to be with the Lord four years prior. 

2007 was certainly an interesting one. But through it all, the Lord has provided and given peace of mind. We have much to be thankful for.

Around December, we began the editing process of Vanish which proved to be a great learning experience. It was great to work with Kathy Olson and Jeremy Taylor at Tyndale and benefit from their experience and talents.

The next step was creating a website and preparing to market my new novel. In addition, I've begun working on proposals for additional novels. My dream some day is to be a full time novelist. Wear an ascot and smoke a pipe. Well... wear an ascot anyway.

Now with less than three months to go, we're starting to get some early reviews. What an exciting time. Thanks for stopping by my website. I look forward to hearing from you as well.

Tom

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great website! Your sister says she would appreciate it if you used her name in future references. I am pleased to note that I am your first commenter. Hee hee, I beat Heidi! But then, I've always been quick to comment. It's a gift. Looking forward to reading the first chapter. Many blessings! Signed: Your sister's husband.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Belated congratulations for the Operation First Novel win, Tom.

CWG is a great conference.